Friday, April 20, 2007

not like all the others





Thanks for the encouragement guys! :)

I've decided to do an evaluation at the end of each week. Partly so I can see where I went wrong if I had a gain and also to record it so I can look back later if I need to.

So here's how this week went ...

Week ending 19 April, 2007

+/- this week: -500g
total points used: 182/182
bonus exercise points earnt: 20pts
number of days exercise: 4
tracked: yes
water consumed: 11 litres/14 litres
sugar points: little on the high side

What I could do better next week ...

  • My water intake was a little on the low side. I should be consuming 14ltrs per week and only drank 11. It's only a minor point but something I can work on.
  • I currently don't count sugar points. I've always had the attitude that if I start to plateau or don't have the weightloss results I want/expect then I'll start looking at sugar. I know over this past week I had a few more than I should have but I'm not really going to worry about it for now

Ultimately I'm pleased with my 500g loss because ...

  • I did 4 days of quite intense exercise, therefore some of that has to result in muscle building
  • I had a 10.5pt meal of KFC, counted the points and put it into my total. I had points saved to allow for this so it wasn't such a catastrophe.
  • I tracked 100% all week

...

I was reading some blogs yesterday morning at the station and said to the other lady on with me to have a look at someone's before/after pics of a girl who had lost a lot of weight. She snapped back at me that it's pointless losing weight because you will only gain it all back and more. I had nothing to say back at the time because alas I am one of those statistics.

But this got me thinking during the day. Let's face it alot of people do gain all their weight back ... and more! And I heard someone saying a little while ago that they have even proven it scientifically now that the body has an inbuilt measure of how much we used to weigh and does everything in it's power to get us back there. So it is/will be a continual fight to get to goal and then to stay there.

The question is ... do I have the willpower and strength to stick it out ... for life??

Yes, this time I think I do. As long as I stick to a few rules along the way ...

  • Enjoy the ride there - I'm not going to cut my own throat just to lose weight. I'm going to make sure I have my treats, my occasional icecreams, bourbens and takeouts (but they won't be yucky kfc tho). I think the key to this rule is tracking, accounting for the points used. When I get to goal, theoretically I should be able to just keep doing what I'm doing now and I won't be worried because I don't miss out on anything now. (well other than cheesie-weezies)
  • Set some new goals at goal - from the people I have seen who have successfully lost weight and kept it off for years afterwards, they all have one thing in common ... they became passionate about something that involved fitness once they got to goal. One is a marathon runner, another is doing body building, another a triathlete. Now I'm not saying I need to become a fitness freak but I need to continue to set goals to strive towards to keep myself focused.
  • Keep the blinkers off - when I started to put weight on again I didn't want to know my weight. Because if I knew about it that meant I had to do something about it. Throughout all my overweight years I have never known what I weighed until I started a weightloss routine. So I need to weigh myself at regular intervals, maybe weekly, maybe monthly. I'll decide that nearer to goal.
  • Keep like minded people around me - People inspire other people and the negative side to this is also true. After that lady said what she did to me in the morning I found myself questioning my ability. Negativity brings on negativity. I have found blogging my most successful way of getting on track and staying on track. When I'm around others that are blogging and weightloss focused, I too stay focused.

This isn't a guarantee I know but it's a start in changing who I am and who I want to stay as ... "I can lose weight AND keep it off!!"

10 comments:

Chris H said...

TOO BLOODY RIGHT YOU CAN... you have a fantastic attitude and you will succeed, I'm watching your ass girl! And I'm going to make sure I come and visit you this coming summer, so you better have your friggin bikini on cos I will !!!

Karen said...

Ditto to what Chris says "TOO BLOODY RIGHT YOU CAN DO THIS"!!! We can ALL do this and together we WILL!!! I love your attitude hun and you are going to kick ass and prove that co-worker wrong!!!
WE CAN LOSE WEIGHT AND WE WILL KEEP IT OFF!!!

Anne said...

With an attitude like that you can't help but succeed. I'm all for having positive people about. I really hate it when people are negative. Someone once remarked to me that I can't keep this weight of forever - all I could think was - of course I can!

Name: Lynise said...

oh theres nothing quite like a negetive person to bring everyones mood down. And we certainly don't need anyone raining on our parade.

You have hit the nail on the head regarding continuing to have goals after we lose our weight, as I believe this was my down fall as well. You and I have both done this before so we KNOW we can do it, the challenge for us (this time) will be keeping it off. Since we already know we can get there, we have half the battle already won as I believe so much of getting started is having the belief in yourself we can and will succeed.
WE CAN DO THIS

Chubbymum said...

OMG the woman needed to keep her mouth shut!! How negative is that!

You CAN DO THIS!!! you have proven that!!!

The reason you gained you understand why now and you are making provisions to not let it happen again.

Negative breeds negative... I found that with my (you know who) friend and you just have to limit time with people like that or cut them out totally hun.

You can do this!!! And GIRL!!! WATCH out I know where you work and live he he he I will be on your doorstep to get you back on track and staying there.

Love ya :-)
Chubbymum
http://cmlosingit.blogspot.com

Chris H said...

January 2008, that gives you 9 months.... to get into togs then! You can do it girl, I bloody know you can!!!

**Mellisa** said...

Of course you can do it .... we all can do it!!
As for putting it all back on...?? we've all done that before that too!!
I got 3 kilos from goal then quit WW!! .... from there I gradually put it all plus 20 kilos on!! Stupid bitch!!...lol...

Have a great weekend!!

Kim said...

OMG! I can't believe I have found you again. I don't know if you even remember me but it was you who inspired me back in 2004 to start my very first blog and lose weight.

I have missed you so much. You sent me an email when things went off the rails for you and I have it saved in a file with your name on it just waiting to see if you would come back and I am so glad you have.

I saw you comment on Karen's blog when she had her bub back in October and was hoping you would come back.

I would really love it if you have time to send me an email so we can catch up on everything that has happened. I know I am going to spend the next couple of days going through your blog.

I, too, went of the rails a little after a miscarriage in November 2005 and am having trouble starting again but just knowing that you are back has given me the boost I need.

I am sure we can do this together.

I AM SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep working hard. You can do it! I lost 60 lbs. a few years ago. If I can keep it off, anyone can. Go for it.

Tania said...

All starts with a positive attitude and the self belief and finding what keeps you motivated! For me that's reading about other people's journeys because it gives you the insight into thinking "if they can do it with all the challenges they have in their lives I can too".

Your journey first time around was really inspiring and it is once again! I think that once you reach goal the second time around you'll appreciate it so much more.