Thursday, April 26, 2007

More compact

I feel very cheated this morning!! I was perfect all week! Stayed within my points, weighed all my food, drank all bar half a litre of my water, exercised 4 days ... and I think that is my downfall ...

Yep I gained!! And gained by 700g!!! Not a measly 100g or 200g but a whopping 700g!!! Damn it!! 116.1kg the scales said this morning, so not fair!!!!

I feel mad about this, but not guilty. I know I did everything right and the scales didn't show this ...BUT

... I will NOT GIVE UP!

I'm going to prove to those bloody scales that I AM LOSING WEIGHT, even if the head matron scales won't believe me!

Why am I not giving up?

  • my hard work will EVENTUALLY show up on the scales
  • I remember having gains last time I lost weight, yet I still got to goal
  • when I get to goal I won't even remember this gain
  • I know it's not about the numbers and all about size/measurements
  • my normally tight ambulance pants were not tight this morning even after being in the dryer
  • I know with the heavily increased exercise I did this week I would have built muscle and we all know that "muscle weighs more than fat"

or does it???

Not according to this article ...

Muscles are not Heavier than Fat

I would like to ask if muscles are heavier than fat. Why is that so?

And is it possible that if I get more muscles, I will also gain weight or maintain my present weight even if I am controlling what I am eating?

Muscles are not heavier than fat. One kilo of muscle weighs exactly the same as one kilo of fat. A kilo is a kilo. However, since muscle is denser, it looks smaller than fat.

If you asked a butcher to put a kilo of pure muscle on one scale and a kilo of pure fat on another scale, you would see that the fat looks bigger than the muscle. Another way to visualize this is to imagine a kilo of cotton and a kilo of steel. The cotton occupies a much bigger space or volume than the same weight of steel.

When people say that "muscles are heavier than fat", they actually mean that muscles are more compact than fat.

So I change that last point ...

  • Because muscles are more compact than fat!!

Here's the rest of the article if anyone is interested ...

Muscles are not Heavier than Fat

Thanks for all the breakfast suggestions. I've taken note of them all and will put them to use. Jen you must have known something. I read your comment about pikelets this morning as I was munching on 2 banana topped pikelets ... lol!

As gutted as I was with those scales this morning I have a busy days work ahead of me and I'm not going to let this get me down.

8 comments:

Chris H said...

Totally true,your comment Lynn, it is a good job for a boy with no experience ... and if he wanted to pursue a career in supermarket-ing, I'm sure he would.... but he wants to be a Physiotherapist! Hence the "heading off to University" next year... have a wonderful day, and don't worry about the gain... it's another great day today!

Anne said...

Easy for me to say and hard for you - but don't worry about the scales. You know you are doing everything right - I bet next week it will reverse and some.

Chubbymum said...

OMG I sooo understand!

I have had sooo many weeks like that and it frustrates me no end.

I have found though that I am about a 2 week turnaround... where it takes me about 2 weeks to see my good week come up ya know what I mean?

Love Chubbymum
http://cmlosingit.blogspot.com

Jules said...

You have the answer yourself, the numbers aren't what matter Lyn. You have done a lot of walking etc this week and hurt your foot and it will be holding fluid around it for it's healing processes and that could easily add up to the 700g. Try not to let it get you down. You are so motivated!!

Rachel said...

Hi Lyn,

I use to read you years ago when I found you through Just4Jo, then re-found you through Lynise - glad to see you back posting.

Sorry to hear what a rough time you have had but happy to see you back into it and as you said, you have done it before and you can do it again!

Back then I use to be just a reader but I now have my own blog.
www.rachelsweightchallenge.blogspot.com

Rachel

Tania said...

I LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE!!! I can deal with a gain at any time because I can usually find the reason why I gained but to gain under these circumstances is harsh! I truly believe though that keeping such a positive attitude and focussing on keeping to your plan that the scales will reward you next week with the loss you deserve.

Jaxx said...

Good for you onwards and upwards and like you say the hard work will show up on the scales......

Cheers Jaxx

jen said...

Lyn, hoped you enjoy the pikelets...love the wholemwal ones myself, find them more filling.

Keep positive, yep our bodies are weird and react strangely with those demon scales at times...measuring yourself regulary sure helps to keep you going when that happens.

onwards and downwards,
Jen