Saturday, April 14, 2007

Duh!!! It's not a race

SmileyCentral.com


Thankyou all for your encouragement in regards to my loss and not feeling excited yet. I've had a further think about it over the last few days and worked out a strategy to overcome this.

I need to stop thinking of my weightloss as a race. There is no start line and no finish line. We all know it needs to be a lifestyle change rather than something we start and stop. Mandy asked me when we had our coffee last weekend how it felt to get to goal and be on maintenance. I think she was a little surprised when I told her it was horrible!! Sure it was great being at goal but I found I had nothing to go onto from there. I had used the excitement of losing each week to keep me motivated and when there was nothing left to lose I found it hard to keep the motivation up.

So I figure I need to change my mindset on this "race" mentality. And rather than focusing on getting to the "end of the race" focus on the enjoyment along the way. And to help me with this I've done up a list of achievements. These are listed down the right hand side and as I achieve each milestone I'll cross it out. So far I have 50 or so things to achieve and want to add to these as I think of them.

Already this has helped in my day to day motivation. Rather than thinking 'I haven't started yet', I'm thinking 'I'm so close to my next goal'

And then when I get to goal I can do up another set of achievements and keep going again. Things like 'half marathon' or 'running 4kms' etc.

Some people are motivated by negatives while others are motivated by positives. I'm definately a positives person. If someone says something negative to get my arse moving I generally stick my toes in, but if something happens (be it however small) I think 'yeah, I can do this'.

So hopefully this will do the trick to keep my foot on the gas.

Speaking of 'foot' ... I finally got the referal appointment from my orthapedic surgeon yesterday to see what they're going to do about my ankle. I'm not getting as much pain in it now, especailly at night when it used to ache, but I still don't have any sideways movement. I'm hoping they take me seriously, look into the problem and don't just fob me off. My appointment isn't for another few weeks yet, so I'll let you know what happens.

Jules ... you asked 'How did you get involved in the ambulance duty?'... When Bill and I split up 18mths ago and I went to live with my sister, to get my mind off things, she suggested I do ambulance duty with her (she is a paramedic in Ngaruawahia). And I loved it! When Bill and I got back together I then joined up again. And yes I did have to do a physical exam involving press-ups, sit-ups and running around the block with 30kgs on my back under a certain time (along with other things). I was a lot slimmer then (only 5kgs above goal) and it nearly killed me!! But I passed. I don't think I would pass the exam now lol! Lucky for me once you're in, you're in. So it's nothing to do with weight but on physical fitness and being able to lift heavy weights. Hope that answers your question :)

Wow so much for doing a short update! lol

8 comments:

Chubbymum said...

Hey hun... I suppose I was a little shocked like you said when you said you hated it but I could totally understand once you explained why.

I had a couple of comments when my blog was open asking me why I was taking so long and wasn't it frustrating... I suppose it is frustrating to take a long time to lose this weight but I have to change my lifestyle for me to keep it up when I reach goal. After all isn't it about keeping it off and not how long it takes you to take it off? Well that is what I reckon anyway.

You are going about it the right way with your goals. If it makes it easier for you then it is great to keep up with.

I can soooo see you getting to goal hun and for it to be a great thing for you this time.

Love ya
Chubbymum
http://cmlosingit.blogspot.com

Name: Lynise said...

Hi ya,
In the past I have often tried to do what 'everyone else' is doing or have been sucessful with. The downside of this method is that we are all individuals and what works really well for some won't be that great for others. I have discovered that I am an 'all or nothing' person, which means I get all fired up and motivated and go for gold doing really well (for a while) then I start to get complacent, or bored and as soon as I start to eat things I know I shouldn't then everything else soon turns to custard. A woman who lost and has maintained for 10 years recently told me that there is nothing wrong with being 'all or nothing' but having a plan when I start to falter is whats important. I also often treat this journey as a race and that seems to be working at the moment, but I need a plan for when I'm not in the mood to 'race'. (whenever that may be) At the end of the day its all about what works for you. I have done this journey before (10 years ago I was at goal, and just like you I found it a struggle to maintain) Now that I know that maintainance is a danger zone for me, I will need to revise another plan when that time comes. Gosh what a lot of waffle, I hope it makes sense, unfortunately its true that there is no one simple solution that will suit everyone as we all struggle with different things. Your back on the wagon and thats the most important thing.

Chris H said...

Re: rugby and your son.... he's only 9.... he will outgrow the screaming and crying... eventually! He's too little for rugby yet I reckon, Mike didn't start till he was at college.. I was too scared to let him try it sooner... over protective mother that I am!

pointing the weigh said...

You have certainly thought things through long term, thats for sure and it will all set you up for maintaining when you are at goal.

re-comment, I'm in the UK and it is stressful but some days shopping can be quite enjoyable depending on how busy it is, to me anyway.
I personally just cannot stand the ignorant, bad mannered folk, I mean, how much does it cost to have manners....NOTHING

Other contries have said that the UK is quite a stressful country, not very relaxed but I suppose not everyone will think that if they visit the UK.
Some members of my family have visited other countries Aus included (I know you are in NZ) but they have said that everyone goes at a more slower relaxed pace.

Anyway thats about it for now, I need to get sorted as OH wants to go to Newcastle BUT he wants to go later in the day.....when it is busy....arrrrggghhh - maybe if I give him back that brain cell then maybe, just maybe I will float my way through the hustle and bustle of Newcastle.

Hugs

jen said...

Noooooooooo its not a race....I had 27+ kilo's to lose, and with one thing or another it took me 18 months to do it. I am glad it did take me so long as I have learnt so many lessons along the way and they are really helping me with maintenance.

keep up your awesome effort, I love your list of goals...

Jen

Jaxx said...

Hope they sort the ankle out soon..... And no it is not a race......

Jaxx

Anne said...

I agree - it's not a race, to me it's a change of lifestyle. Great idea having your list at the side, it will motivate you being able to cross them off.

Jules said...

I think your post definitely supports the idea that we need to make changes that are going to suit our lifestyles for good. If you focus on these things then it's not all about the numbers but the positive changes you are making for you, Bill and the kids.

I think I'm going to give the ambulance thing a go. I love helping people and have always been a medical sort of person. Thanks for answering my question.