Monday, April 16, 2007

baby steps work

SmileyCentral.com


I woke up yesterday inspired to do some exercise. It was our day off so when Bill said he wanted to go for a kayak I suggested we go hire another 2 kayaks (we own one kayak ourselves), one for me and one for Lauren, 11yrs (the 3 boys are still with their grandparents). So after getting ourselves sorted. Snacks and sweatshirt, shoes, car keys and money, breakfast eaten ... 40mins later we were ready to head out the door. Bill kayaked down to the hire place and we were to meet him there. But as we walked in the shop I noticed there were no kayaks out on display. After asking the lady she snapped back that yes they do still hire out kayaks but not today. Aye?? "we're going out for the day and we don't hire them out when staff are here" I really didn't understand her reasoning, I mean she was there right then and we could bring them back when she returned but nope she was dead set ... no kayaks today! Damn!!

So Lauren and I set off walking down the beach to meet Bill. As we were walking I noticed she was counting. "What are you counting?" I asked her. "my steps". So we set out to count our steps together, me counting 1-100 while she counted the 100's and then 1000's. We made a goal together of getting to 10,000. I really didn't think about how many that was and how long it would take us!! lol ... 5,400 steps and 1hr20mins later!!! We had to stop before my ankle gave out on me.

I got back home, worked out my bonus points and was very happy to record 6.5pts earnt. (of course only saving 4 of them).

Bill's brother, his wife and kids arrived just before lunch for a visit. The guys went out fishing while the girls sat down to watch girly movies. A great day! Everyone voted on takeaways for dinner so I opted for prawn chow mein. I knew I had 17pts spare for dinner so wasn't worried. I looked up the points for it after dinner and to my shock ww reckons it's 15pts (2cups worth). There's no way it would be 15pts!! Chop suey (veges with no meat, no noodles) is 2pts, so I figured 1 serving of prawns is 1 extra point and 2 cups of pasta (over estimating) is 7pts bringing the total to 10pts. I know our chinese takeaways use boiled pasta not fried so I really can't see where the extra 5pts comes from. I made the decision to only count it as 10 not 15pts. Does anyone else know why the huge difference between chop suey (2pts) and chow mein (15pts)??

I decided since I don't have a walking buddy I'd like to get myself a pocket radio and a pedometer. I found one on trademe that has both together (yeah I know I gotta stay off that site! lol) and bid $10 bux on it ... and got it!!






So that should be on it's way to me very shortly... bargain!!

I felt so inspired by my walk yesterday (longest I've done yet) that I got up this morning and did it again! It shows how much my ankle is healing being able to walk on the beach again. I had a stiff leg today but it was the other leg not my 'bung' one. So that was a good sign I had done some 'fat damage'.

My immediate plan was to walk on the beach to the cafe, grab a coffee and walk back. But by the time I got there I'd only walked 15mins and I know it's better to walk 20mins at a time for weightloss, so continued along the beach for another 5mins, then noticed I wasn't far from the end of the beach, so continued walking. It ended up being a little further than I thought to the end so by the time I got home, my planned 'half hour walk' ended up being 65mins.

Well whataya know huh? 3mths ago the thought of walking out to the letterbox and back was too much for me to even consider doing, with being overweight and a 'bung' leg. I remember reading of people who couldn't walk to the letterbox and back when I was losing weight last time and not being able to believe that. But I was in that exact position only a few months back. My first "walk" only last 10mins and I was haddit... now I'm walking for 1hr, who would have guessed? Shows that by making one small change at a time, even if it doesn't feel like you've done anything decent enough (like 10 pathetic mins) is a small step to doing more next time.

10 comments:

Chubbymum said...

What a fantastic achievement hun... I bet you were soooo happy when you had walked on that beach... I loved walking on the beach at Easter... I can't wait to go back next Easter (we booked for next year woohooo) so we will have to go out for dinner one night while we are there.

You are sooo focussed and I have to say thanks for that because reading your blog has kept me focussed lately too...

Love Chubbymum
http://cmlosingit.blogspot.com

Name: Lynise said...

I think we are at a similar stage of being excited when we see small changes with our fitness. Two months ago I felt dreadful and walking down to our letter box and back was definitely a struggle. (600m return walk, with a small hill back up to the house) Now I can jog the whole way there AND back, (even up the small hill) sure I'm puffed at the top but I can feel the improvement. Yipeeee,,,, Go us.

Anne said...

Well done Lyn - especially with a bung ankle. Hard to get back into exercise when you've had a hurdle like that to cope with - but look at you - you are doing it again!

Chris H said...

I was one of those who could not walk to my letterbox without getting puffed, and it was only about 10 bloody steps to it! Poor me.... and NO, we are not friggin twins... I wish we were cos I'd like to be your sister! My own sister is a person I don't even associate with, let alone like! I am sad sad sad I tell ya! lol

Helena said...

dont cha hate it when a plan DOESNT come together? Bummer about the kayaks, cos that is serious fun :) guess theres always next weekend!

Tania said...

Don't you just love that feeling of achievement? You'll be walking in a marathon before you know it :-)

Chris H said...

Just to be a pain, I have given you a "Thinking Bloggers Award", its a pass it on type of thing, so pop over to my blog to find out what it means.

Ang said...

Hey Lyn!

Just thought I'd say HI!!!!

I started reading your journey in 05? after seeing you in the womans day. You really did motivate me to start my own blog. Although it took me a decent while of reading your blog to actually start my own, I'm so glad I did.

And even more glad that you are BACK!!

Sorry if this is just too random for you. But I was a lurker for a LONG time!!

I look forward to coming back and checking on things.

Take care
Ang

Leighanne said...

Great to see you back!!!
Sorry to hear you've had a bad year and a bit...
I look forward on reading what you are getting upto again:)

Munzy said...

Hi Lyn

In the spirit of Ang, above, I also started reading your original blog and was so stoked to find you back again.

You certainly have had a tough time of it over the last few years, havent you? Glad you seem to be on the up now - these things are meant to test us, but sometimes dontcha just feel like screaming 'ENOUGH, ALREADY'!!!!!!

Also, like Ang above, you inspired me to start blogging as well.

Have a happy Tuesday!

Cheers
Jo