Saturday, May 19, 2007

No time for stress

SmileyCentral.com


A nice healthy portion of steamed veges, 2 cobs of corn (I love corn) and 5pt cottage pie was on the menu for dinner.

Friday night is takeaway night for the rest of the family so they had pizza. I wasn't too worried as my meal would have been just as yummy. I say "would have" because I didn't end up eating it. I was about quarter of the way through when the pager went off. My first ever night code 1 (lights and sirens).

I can't go into the details of the job (because of patient confidentiality) but I can tell you that it was one of those jobs where I came home feeling very proud of myself knowing I saved someone's life. I got commended by the Advanced Paramedic who met us on the way for backup. I have always been third man up, meaning one person drove, one person was in the back with the patient and the third person (me) was doing goafa jobs and learning.

Last night was my first night with just two people, the driver and me. So I was it in the back, doing vitals, keeping her alert, putting oxygen, doing blood sugar level tests, taking blood pressure, monitoring her heart, writing patient report form, giving TLC. It was touch and go but we got her there and boy was I pumped by the time my partner and I got back into the ambulance.

There is absolutely NOTHING that compares to saving someones life and it certainly puts ANY stress into perspective!!

14 comments:

Jaxx said...

Whoohoo go girl..... well done :).

Jaxx

jen said...

wowwwwwww good on you...be proud of your efforts, as your're right, there is nothing better than saving a life. Well done!!!

Jen

VegasGirl said...

Wow!!! Awesome doesn't even begin to describe it. Great job!!!

Chubbymum said...

Woooowww YOU GO GIRL!!! It is certainly not a job that I would like to do... I am too much of a chicken.

Love Chubbymum
http://cmlosingit.blogspot.com

pointing the weigh said...

WELL DONE....WOOOHOOO!!

You deserve to feel FANTASTIC AND PROUD!! The patient will be so grateful to you and will probably want to thank you in person.

Do you go back to see the patient?
When I was ill and I was later told I was clinically dead on 2 occasions during my illness, the ambulance men who literally saved my life came into the intensive care unit to visit me and it gave me an opportunity to thank them which was great although I wasn't quite with it but I managed to say something to them.

Continue to feel proud of yourself for lots of reasons.

Hugs

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Thats fantastic... i got goosebumps reading it... Its people like you that make it easier when we need an ambo...
Well done!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

Mel. said...

Woooohooooooooo I so admire Ambo's and the job they do. You should be so proud of yourself.

Sienna said...

How totally exciting! You are no longer an ambo virgin! Congratulations!

Janet said...

Found your blog via the lovely comment you've left on mine. Thank you for that.

Now, it's a cold Melbourne afternoon here, so I've spent plenty of time reading your blog. What a great read!!! Thanks for a good excuse for not having to go outside. LOL. Except when I went out to hubby's cave to leave some cake there. (I could smell it and it was begging me to it eat. Gingerbread cake I made yesterday.) Hubby suggested I leave it in his car but I told him it needed to be somewhere where he could see that I wasn't going to eat it. It will be at his clients place tomorrow and then harmony will be restored.

Christine said...

I have not "saved" anyones life, but I have held many many hands while they have passed away. It is a feeling that I am not able to describe. You just feel like you have made a difference. We have great jobs. Take care.

Jules said...

And that is exactly why I want to be a volunteer ambulance officer too. Good on you Lyn. Angel of Mercy!!

Anne said...

No wonder you are feeling so proud Lyn. Something like that does put things into perspective.

Tania said...

Well done Lyn - one of life's achievements that you can be very proud of. And you're right, it does put things into perspective.