Monday, June 25, 2007

Mwaaaahhh!! Ambo courses suck!!

SmileyCentral.com



That was absolutely YUCKY, YUCKY, YUCKY!!!!!!!

Another 3 days of cramming our poor little brains with so much information I thought I was going to explode!!! It came to exam day yesterday and we had 3 practical exams to complete by the end of the day. I was getting pissed off with my partner (we were doing our exams in teams of 2) because she just refused to practice. Everytime I mentioned about doing a runthrough of a practice scenario she decided she had something else to do.

In the end I grabbed someone else's partner to practice so at least I could get some practice in.

Normally in exam situations I'm pretty calm and don't really have much problem with freaking out.

As I entered the room for my turn I methodically went through the medical scenario and almost had it done when the tutor informed me that the patient had gone into cardiac arrest. I calmly got my partner and I to lift the patient onto the floor so we could start proceeding with CPR, got her to ring for backup and get the defib set up ... then ... my mind went blank ... I couldn't think ... the silence seemed to last forever!!! I totally panicked and hurried myself into doing chest compressions (done with a manikin). After a few minutes he stopped me ... I'd failed ...

In my panic I had forgotten to check the pulse ... such a stupid mistake!! What person forgets to check the pulse???? I got everything else perfect and forgot the most basic thing!!! I was so angry with myself!!

The horrible thing was I had to recompose myself for the next assessment ... a trauma patient. I just wanted jump in my car and go home!!! It was good that I had an hour spare to chill out and tell myself I could do this, don't panic!!!

I past the final one ... so all in all I passed trauma, excelled in the medical and failed the resuscitation. My tutor pulled me aside afterwards and said I wasn't the only one who hadn't passed and the mistake I made while enough to make me fail would not kill anyone in reality, so I guess that's one good thing.

He also said that my medical assessment was the best he'd seen in the last two courses. So people if you are sick and I turn up to help you ... you'd be fine if your just sick but just don't bloody die on me!!!!

Because it was such a minor thing he's letting me have another go at it this afternoon. Bugger I have to drive all the way up there again but I just want to get it over with. I have dreamt over and over about resus scenarios!!! I think I have it sorted this time ... gawd I hope so!!!!!

Lynise - Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up again!! I seriously just did not have the time, any spare moment was spent studying.

My food was ok. I took my own tv dinners with me and the lunches were provided ... a filled roll with a cake and fruit ... so I just had the filled roll and fruit. My water was probably a little down, coffee intake way up, exercise down ... but right now all I have on my brain is this resit this afternoon .... man I'd better pass it!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo you passed two hun... I know that you didn't with the resuss one but you know you can do this and so do they... You are going to pass this afternoon my friend.. take a deep breath and take your time and think happy thoughts..

Big hugs hun

Love Chubbymum

Chris H said...

I wish you all the luck in the world, though I reckon you will be fine this time!

Jules said...

You'll be sweet as sugar miss!! As for the first failing, there would have been a reason, maybe one day down the track there will be a scenario where you really need to take the pulse and from now on you will never forget to do that because of failing the first time. Everything happens for a reason. You'll pass.

Anne said...

You will be fine! As Jules said - you will never forget to do that again!!

Lee-Anne said...

I know you're definitely going to pass today. By the time you read this you will be destressed.

Good on you for being prepared this weekend and I hope you were heaps warmer.

Nic said...

All the best I'm sure you're all passed by now.

Christine said...

SOunds like a pretty stressful time - glad to see that you are doing so well. Keep your cool - you'll do so great!

Zanna said...

I could almost feel your disappointment but congratulations on getting such fantstic results on the other sections. Hope all went well this afternoon.

The Candid Bandit said...

This too, shall pass.

Then you will look back and be so proud of yourself.

You are doing something extraordinary Lyn. Don't forget to pat yourself on the back please.

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Omg... what a weekend... You poor thing... we all know you wouldnt let us die... I hope all went well in the end...
cant have you killing the crash dummies..... ;o)

VegasGirl said...

WooHoo! You passed 2 --that is great!

I'm sorry your partner was being such a brat. I'm sure if you'd had someone good to work with (taking that stress out of the scenario) you'd have remembered to check the pulse.

I will do my best to never, ever die if I am ever in or near Waihi Beach : New Zealand =D

Name: Lynise said...

oh bugger, I can imagine how disappointed you would have been. I hope by now (when you read this) it will all be finished and over with and you are all happy again.

No worries with not having time to catch up. I'm only an hour away so I WILL make time to get together for a proper chat soon.