Wednesday, October 06, 2004

What a night!!!

We have just arrived home from HOSPITAL!! Malachi (6) came home from school yesterday with a really bad 'bark' cough. The teacher had rung from school to say he wasn't well. So I kept my eye on him and he seemed to be okay (other than the continual coughing).

Then at around 6pm he started coughing fits and couldn't stop. He couldn't catch his breath in between coughing and started to panic. His wheezing became really bad also, so I put him in the bathroom and turned the hot water on, gave him some ventalin and called my sister to ask for advice (she's a paramedic).

She said call 111 straight away!!! I don't know why but I just hate calling an ambulance for anything unless it is life/death situation, but Trish assured me that it could be if he was left like that. So I did as I was told.

The ambulance arrived and he seemed to calm down and get better with the oxygen they gave him. They decided to take him to the local doctor to get his chest checked out and 20mins later they were back at the doorstep saying the doctor wanted him taken to Tauranga hospital.

We got there around 9pm and they admitted him overnight. He has apparently got Croup which is an viral infection of the main airways to the lungs, causing swelling and hense the breathing difficulty. Quite scary for a little 6yr old to go through. They gave him oxygen and predisone (sp) and went off to sleep while I bunked down on a mattress beside him.



This morning arrived and he was a different boy!! The medication did wonders!! He was no longer wheezing and his cough has gone back to a regular cough (not a bark). The doctor said it was really rare to see Croup in a 6yr old. Normally it effects 1-3yr olds.

10am this morning we finally got let out and have just got home. I'm keeping him home from school for the rest of the week but he's well on the way to a good recovery already.

Foodwise ... I did well all day with points (check out my daily nibbling page) and after Malachi was finally asleep at the hospital I went for a walk to chill out. I came across an evil vending machine!! lol ... for a minute or so I contemplated giving in to it's wicked ways and getting myself a chocolate bar. Then I remembered I had a ww crisp bar in my bag. I came back with the thought of getting a V but they only had regular V in the machine (not sugarfree) and for another few minutes I argued the pro's and con's of giving in to it, after all the stress I went through tonight surely I deserve something with lots of points in it! lol But I quickly scolded myself and realised I had half a bottle of Mizone in my bag which is just as nice and noway near the points.

So I think I coped pretty well under the circumstances. Isn't it funny tho how when we go through stress that means we are suddenly allowed to eat bad things in someway to compensate and 'make it even' ... but in reality the scales don't care what stress you have had to endure ... they just read what fat you have.

One more hurdle overcome!
Catcha!
Lyn :)
SW 107.4kg
CW 74.0kg
WWGW 71kg
PGW 65kg

No comments: