Wednesday, August 01, 2007

To kill, steal and distroy

SmileyCentral.com


What are the odds???

The exact day I post about the bizarre phenomenon of a migraine with no pain that I have never heard of and Jo posts about her experience of exactly the same thing! I actually don't think it was coincidence. I think someone upstairs was lookin out for me.

I did a google search on 'drusin' (thankyou CM) which came up with some interesting articles. One noted that in the generic condition the 'blindspots' often go undetected till later on in life because the person has always had them, they don't notice them. I do remember as a child having times where I couldn't see the principal at the front of assembly because my eyes were doing funny things.

The doctor had asked me if I had a headache or tiredness after my episode and I originally told him no. But after thinking about it harder I do remember Bill asking me if I wanted a nightcap and I said no because I didn't feel so well and went to bed instead.

This is a prime example of how our network here is fantastic. Through you guys I gained knowledge and support, making me realise how common something like this is.

Just good to know what it is and that I'm not going to die from it.

Now onto a more important serious topic ...

I went to a methamphetamine seminar in Auckland last night for st johns. While I already knew a fair amount about 'P' this was a mindblowing eyeopener for me.

I actually had tears in my eyes this morning remembering the words being spoken. This evil drug has/is going to rip our country apart!!! We have the highest rate (per capita) IN THE WORLD!!! for methamphetamine ... way above USA!! And I know for a fact that the school my very own daughter is in has dealers selling the stuff there!

The thing that scared me the most was the science behind it. It has been proven that once you have it .. just once ... you are addicted!!! The way our bodies work, there is a hormone nicknamed the happy hormone that is released when good things happen. This can go anywhere from 0-400 depending on what it is that makes us happy.

When someone takes meth this increases this hormone to a level of 1200!!!! It is physically impossible for the body to naturally ever get that high. And in doing so this drug reprogrammes the brain to have a 'normal' level at 1200. That's just after ONE experience of the drug!!! So then when triggers that would normally make us happy actually leave the person feeling depressed and drained, needing the only one thing that can lift the levels back up to it's 'normal' feel good state.

As this increased amount of hormone bounces round in the body during this high, the body naturally goes into overreactive mode trying to compensate and closes up the 'nodules' or portholes for these hormones ... and closes them permanently!! This means that when the person doesn't have P in their system, not only is their 'normal' marker point changed but now a portion of the portholes have closed so the body feels even LESS of this happy hormone than even a normal person who has never taken meth. And because of these holes closing up the person then needs to take even more meth next time to get the same high ... and so it spirals down.

The other side effect (sorry if I'm going on here) is sleep deprivation. Some people have been known to go upto 28 days without sleep. Our bodies use sleep to renourash and rebuild. So when someone is not sleeping for this length their bodies will start to break down in all areas!! There are dramatic effects in very short time frames as these photos show ...



If you take a look at all of these before photos ... every single one of them seem like everyday jo blogs ... not down and outers. And that's the other scary thing ... 77% of people on this drug are in paid employment and alot are blue or white collar workers. Which makes it so much more 'socially acceptable'.

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted here and really as to what I want to come out of this discussion I'm not sure but I guess education is a powerful thing and the more people I can warn about this horrible, horrible drug the better!

I just want to take my kids and hide them away from it all!!

13 comments:

Chris H said...

My god those faces changing are amazing, makes you hope like hell you never have to see anyone you know go through that. It is soooo sad that people can be sucked into such a life. We all make choices in our lives, some just make bloody bad ones.

Chris H said...

So glad to hear the migraine isn't going to stop you coming down.... woooo hooo, I'm excited and shit scared all at once I think! So want the party to be a sucess I'm stressing out!!!! Don't need my stooooopid hair to add to me stress for sure, better take a chill pill.

The Candid Bandit said...

Gawd, it has so many names. You guys call it 'P' we call it Ice.

My girlfriend quit her job at the brisbane hospital because of Ice addicts. She has been punched, kicked, bitten and bruised and she said it just wasn't worth it anymore.

To make it more stupid, she then told me she has had it. F***ing moron.

It is scary, scary shit. What's even scarier is wondering what will be around when Bradman is old enough to be influenced.

I'm stoked you learnt more about your migraine. This network is amazing, I agree.

Christine said...

I am so happy that you touched base with another blogger with the same symptons. That really helps. Isn't it nice to know that the world isn't really that small? :)

Chubbymum said...

I am glad that we could help hun.... it is a scary thing to go through when you don't know what is wrong.

Can't wait to catch up in the weekend it is going to be a blast!!

Love Chubbymum

Lynda said...

I am with you on your hate for "P". Its just unbelievable to think of the intelligent people using this.

On the headache thingy. I get a painless migrane from time to time where I lose sight - well I can't see because of the cascades that blur my vision. This has never become worse over the 12 years I have had it and there is no reason for it. I have not had it as bad as you but have had the speech problems etc at other times which was scary.

Moby Dick said...

No P for me...

pointing the weigh said...

Oh wow, the people change sooo much with that drug....with any drug.

I hate the dealers and yeah the dealers do stand outside of school gates just waiting to pounce on some young innocent kid who just does not have a clue....I mean heck I DON'T HAVE A CLUE so what chance does some young kid have eh?

I hate it all!!!

Have to say, "thanks for opening my eyes" the more parents are aware of these things the better and the names they have i.e. ice which I didn't know was a name for it until I read Miss Becks comment, infact I don't think I have even hear of P.

Hugs

Jules said...

Stick dipping, that is a fancy name for something so primal!!

celtic_girl said...

Yes, it's very scary, we all have a right to be petrified for our kids.

Glad to hear the migraine is not serious

Leighanne said...

That info was eye opening...I don't want my boys involved in anything like it ever...very scary:)

Zanna said...

Thanks for sharing the info - these days there are just so many nasties on offer to our children - my own boys are grown so now I worry about how my grandchildren will cope. Glad you've sorted out your health problems - or at least know what was causing them - must have been pretty damned scary. I used to suffer from migraines but seem to have got over them for the past few years - but remember one bad one where I lost the feeling on one side of my face - think it's the out of control thing which is absolutely terrifying. Take care and have a wonderful time at Chris's place.

Em said...

I know its really scary stuff especially when you have children..we just finished a topic on it in my course..take care and have a great weekend