Wednesday, July 04, 2007

You did WHAT for me??




I was busy behind the counter this morning in the shop when the phone rang.

"That'll be for you" Bill said
"A lady's been trying to get hold of you all morning"
"What? Who? Someone from ambo?"
"I dunno, just answer it!!" he said

"Hello, Lyn speaking"
"Hi, this is Sally from Guiness Homeware in Katikati. I'm just trying to tee up a time to meet with you. My boss is going to be in the area on Friday are you able to meet with us at let's say 1pm? ..."

This all went straight over my head. I was trying to work out why someone would be wanting to meet with me from a homeware shop. Did Bill buy something behind my back? Until she said the next two words ...

"for an interview"

Then it all hit home ... BILL I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!! lol

Yes you guessed it Bill applied for a job for me behind my back, sent my cv away all without my knowledge.

I got off the phone and kicked my husband up the arse!! "You applied for a job for me?? What were you thinking??"
"Well you said you'd like to get out and start working now that Jese is at school and I figured you'd never get around to doing it so I took the first step for you"

Damn it!! He was right again!! But job interviews??? they're so scary ... and ... ummm ...

"Just go to the interview!! You don't need to thank me right away"

LOL So there you have it I'm applying for a job in a homeware store. Scary stuff but ultimately good for me. Interview is Monday @ 2.30pm ... wish me luck!

...

Bill has been catching lots of fish lately on his little 12ft dinghy. And while I'm grateful of him bringing home the bacon there is only so much fish I can handle. We've been eating fish 4 nights a week at the moment, so I decided it was time to do some research on low point yummy fish recipes and I found one last night that was absolutely DEVINE!!

Thai Green Fish Parcels



POINTS® Value: 7
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Here we've created some great tasting low-fat Thai fish parcels which are baked in the oven in a light green coconut curry sauce.

Ingredients

800 g raw snapper fish, (4 fillets)
2 tbs curry paste, (Thai green) (used red curry paste)
2 whole fresh red chili, (or green), deseeded, thinly sliced (used chili paste)
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 tbs fish sauce (used oyster sauce)
1 tbs fresh lime juice (used lemon juice)
1 tbs brown sugar
250 g fresh green beans, ends trimmed
200 g zucchini, (2 zucchini), halved lengthwise, sliced diagonally
1/2 cup fresh basil, leaves only (omitted these)
2 cup cooked rice, warmed

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 220C.

Cut 4 x 60cm lengths of foil. Fold the foil in half to make a square. Make a 2cm fold along the open sides to form a pocket. Smear the fish with 2 tsp curry paste and sprinkle with half of the chillies. Divide beans and zucchini among foil pockets and top with fish.

Combine remaining paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in a jug and stir well. Divide coconut milk into each parcel, adding a few basil leaves. Fold the opening securely to make an airtight parcel.

Place parcels on a large baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Set aside for 2 minutes before opening.

Carefully transfer parcels to a shallow bowl. Top with remaining basil leaves and chili and serve with rice.

Notes

We've radically reduced the POINTS value by using light coconut milk instead of the full-fat variety. By baking these in separate foil parcels, you cut down on the washing up too!

When buying a green curry paste, look for one that has already been cooked. These are usually sold in jars instead of plastic sachets, and are less vibrant in colour then the uncooked varieties. The difference in flavour is huge. Cooked curry pastes don't have that raw garlic or spice flavour which you sometimes taste in curries, rather a more rounded flavour.


I score this a 9/10 .... absolute yum!!


...


Some interesting points came out in your comments yesterday regarding complacency vs slow & steady. Ultimately I think each of us are different and are motivated in different way. Some of us need that kick up the butt while for others that would be enough to make us run away and hide.


I think for me ... the fact that I acknowledged to myself that I needed to get my A into G was enough to make me aware of the choices I was making and so far today and yesterday (touch wood) my choices have been good ones ;)

19 comments:

Munzy said...

haha - CONGRATULATIONS!

Sometimes it just takes someone giving us that first push (oops, I mean 'STEP' :-) ) to make wonderful things happen.

This is the start of something really cool for you, I can just tell!

Good luck for Monday at 2.30!
Jo

Rachel said...

If you can set up an interview on the phone not even knowing what you were going to be interviewed for, you will ace the actual interview.

Good luck for Monday @ 2.30pm.

Have a look at your CV before you go to the interview and make sure Bill hasn't added anything ..... LOL

Lee-Anne said...

Yummy snapper. Will have to try it - when I get some fresh snapper. Better be soon. Hows that house coming along.

I went back to work when my youngest started school too. Best thing I ever did. Besides it will keep you busy. Can't think about food while you're working can ya. Oops - yes you can.

Anyhow good luck for Monday chick. Will be thinking about you.

Chris H said...

Far out I miss fresh fish.... I had too much at one time but now.... and I hope you get the job! Will it impinge on your ambo work though? Good on you for pulling finger again again and again.

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Good luck with the interview..I have currently jumped on the looking for work wagon.. and the last two days have been filled with jobnetworking app's etc... my head is spinning... and I am stressed to boot...
arghhhhhhhhhhhh

**Mellisa** said...

Good luck for your interview!! Lol at hubby applying!! *giggles*
I love fish, living in the 'country' we are hard pressed to get 'fresh' fish .. they say it is but I bet my left tit it isn't!! lol

Christine said...

Good luck with the interview! What a sneaky husband you have! I would have kicked my husbands butt - but then I would have hugged him! Take care.

Leighanne said...

Wow what a lovely hubby - you will really have to spoil him if you get the job *wink*

Good luck for the interview!!

Kate said...

Good Luck on the job interview, I'm sure it will go AWESOME!

I'm so jealous of all the fresh fish you get from the hubby fishing, I love fish!

Moby Dick said...

Looks like great fish! Good luck with the interview.

Karen said...

Yum fresh fish!!!! *wipes drawl away from chin*
Good luck for the interview on Tuesday - you will knock the socks off them!!!

Anne said...

Love fresh fish. LOL we have some fresh (frozen) fish that was caught a few weeks ago, must try your recipe - it sounsd yum!

Good luck with the interview - that is quite funny what Bill has done!

Jules said...

I'm jealous of the fish and a bit in awe of Bill for giving you a push. Although, could have been really embarrassing if you had said you never applied for the job in the first place!! Hope it goes well.

Mel. said...

Fingers crossed for Monday for you. I also agree the fish looks and sounds yummy.

TitanThirteen said...

Good Luck :o)

celtic_girl said...

Best of luck with the interview. I'm sure you'll nail it.

jen said...

Good luck with the interview....and that recipe looks yummy...

Jen xx

Lee-Anne said...

Good luck with the interview chick. look forward to hearing all about it.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who would be BEYOND pissed off if someone applied for a job FOR me?!?