Monday, July 30, 2007

Fun day out

We'd told the kids we would celebrate both their birthdays by taking them up to Rainbow's end on Sunday (yesterday). When yesterday morning arrived there were severe weather warnings saying we'd be getting over 120mm of rain in the next 12 hrs!!!

But Bill was still determined to take them. I begrudgingly agreed telling him we'd regret it! So in the pouring rain with raincoats and spare clothing aboard we set off. As we got nearer to Auckland the clouds started to part and infact blue sky and sun started to show. Bill looked at me with a smirk and requested an apology. Hmmm ... I wasn't going that far ... yet! :)

As we drove by Rainbows End the kids were squealing with excitement but we couldn't see many people there. Infact we couldn't see ANYONE!

Driving in the car park we noticed the main gates were closed!! By why? The sun was shining! Bill got out to look at the sign ... CLOSED!! Due to heavy flooding! Hmmm ... glad I hadn't given that apology yet! But I was sad for the kids all the same.

Next stop we decided was the movies at Sylvia Park. We got there to find cars and cars driving round and round like a swarm of bees not knowing where to land. I said to Bill it was like the ultimate hunting trip but with NOTHING to hunt. We drove round and round for half an hour joining in everyones frustration. Quite cruel really making us pleb dummies look round and round for something that obviously wasn't there. We made it a game for the kids, trying to spot for elusive reversing lights or even more elusively the rare species of keys being pulled out walking towards the car. Bill and I thought it was quite fun but as we finally gave up and drove away the kids didn't think it was so funny.

So next stop ... Manukau movies. Yay a car park and right out the front door! We tried to scam it so we could send the kids to their movie and Bill and I could go to ours but the times didn't work out right. So Bill and I and 5 kids (4 of ours plus 1 friend) and 7 lots of popcorn, drinks and icecreams trundled off to see Harry Potter.

I was a bit worried as some of it got quite scary especially for Jese (5). Two and a half hours later we finally emerged, kids bouncing off the walls while mum and dad tired and dragging our feet!! Boy was it long!!! Probably didn't help that I am so not a science fiction type person. I hate watching anything that looks remotely unbelievable. Infact I'm ashamed to admit that I even closed my eyes for part of it! lol Shhhh!! Chris you didn't hear that! But the kids loved it and that's all that mattered.

Next stop ... 10 pin bowling. Everyone had a blast and Jese (5) the youngest ended up winning!! Beginners luck I say! (and yes I probably am a sore loser, especially to a 5yr old!! lol)

Then it was dinner at the drive through (Wendies of which I had a baked potato and salad). On the drive home we were listening to talk back on the radio and they were talking about weird fears people have. They wanted people to text in some examples so Bill dared me to txt my fear ... so I did!! About 10mins later the dj said "Eewwwww we have a disgusting one here folks! This one makes me cringe just thinking about it!! This lady has a fear of her husband's slimy butt rubbing up against her leg at night!!!" Bill and I cracked up and did a high five!!! The whole car was roaring with laughter!!!

Next stop ... home ... finally!!!

A great day out with the whole family, something we haven't done in a very long time ... but ohhhhh so expensive! Boy the cost adds up! Hate to think how much we spent, but definately worth it!!!

8 comments:

Chubbymum said...

I used to live 10 minutes away from Rainbows end and when it first opened we were there soooo much as it didn't cost anything to go and we just went on what we wanted and everything was quite cheap... but nowadays it is sooo bloody expensive...

Sounds like the day was full of suprises. I reckon those days are the best aye.

Woohoo

Chubbymum

Chris H said...

I have a good idea how much you spent!!! Having 'been there, done that" a million times. I LOVE Harry Potter, but not many other Science Fiction type books/movies... weird eh? I havn't even watched Star Wars!!! Hope you are not too broke, this weekend is coming up!!! Wooo Hoooo!!!

Jules said...

I bet you had to top up the mortgage for the movies alone!!

Slimey butt crack, yuck!!!

Good work on getting the salad and potato.

Jules said...

Are you in the 4 week challenge, chickadee?? That's what I meant.

The Candid Bandit said...

Bluech @ bill's butt crack.

What a great day it turned out to be!

*pssst* I fell asleep during the Harry Potter Premiere showing.

Lee-Anne said...

We went to the movies again yesterday and we didn't come out with much change out of $60 and I didn't have anything to eat. Just 2 drinks, 2 ice-creams and 2 tangy fruits. For 2 adults and 1 kid.

Glad you had a good time, but sounds like it was a long day. Hope you get a breather before the next birthday(s) roll around.

Em said...

IS wonderful to have a family day out..but sometimes it does cost a fortune......isnt ten pin bowling expensive amazed at the cost but it is fun ...

Christine said...

Sounds like you had an amazing day - too back about the rain. But it sounds like things worked out just fine! Good for you!