Sunday, July 22, 2007

The drought has broken

SmileyCentral.com


I'm talking about the fact that for the last 7mths I've been oncall at the beach I had not had one single job!! The figures tell me that I had been on call over 300hrs and 0hrs on a job.

For those that are a little confused by this ... I do duties at both Waihi Beach and Waihi (which is about 10kms apart). For the times I'm on call in Waihi I stay on station and get plenty of jobs. Around 40% of the time I'm on call I'm on the road, which for most is normally 10%. So for my Waihi shifts it's above average.

But when I'm on call in Waihi Beach responding from home one night a week and one whole weekend a month for seven months I've had nothing! Infact I'm the only one here that hasn't had anything for the last year.

I seem to have become quite blazay when I'm oncall for the beach. I have my pager on next to bed but don't bother organising my uniform, shoes and keys anymore.

Then out of the blue last night (well 4am this morning) my pager went off. My immediate reaction was to get annoyed at myself for leaving my pager on. As I sat up to turn it off I remembered that I was actually on duty. I jumped out of bed and fumbled round for my things. It felt like I was taking forever! As I looked at my watch walking out to be picked up by the ambulance I realised I'd only taken 4 minutes but my shirt buttons were all skewiffed. Lucky I had a few seconds before my ride arrived to correct my attire.

So there you have it ... I have officially done a job at the beach. I was starting to think I was jinxed.

3 comments:

Em said...

lol at buttons skewiffed... Are snack boxes like confectionary machines if they are ahhhhhhgggggg we have them at Tafe too....know you will do well on the solution...have a great week :)

Christine said...

I don't think I could have responded as quickly and as effective as you at 4am! Good for you!

pointing the weigh said...

Well done for getting straight to it despite the buttons being skewwy, that doesn't matter.

Got to have your witts about you doing your sort of job, getting paged and then being able to get straight up, dressed and awake to know exactly what you are doing....WELL DONE!

Hugs to ya