Friday, July 20, 2007

Another day at the station



Let's hope I'm not this stupid on ambo today. This guys gotta make anyone look good!!

I didn't do an update yesterday because nothing really happened to talk about and it's the same today but I'm doing like Tania and making sure I update regularly as it keeps me focused. So unfortunately for you guys it's going to be a boring post of blah! blah! blah! :)

This is my 4th day back 100% ontrack. But it's my first day back at ambo, on track. This poses to be a problem. There are a couple of things I find hard while on station.





  • the worst one is that I use the ww online journal to track my food. And the last couple of weeks ww has upgraded to Flashplayer 9 instead of 8. The station computer only has flashplayer 8 and I can't upgrade it until I find someone with admin login to do it. So basically means I can't track by computer while on duty. I can do it manually on paper but I get lazy and don't bother. I guess this one's solved by time, once I get someone to get flashplayer 9 going it will be fine.


  • Second issue is my lack of time to eat and drink. Ambulance duty is bizarre in that one day we can be bored silly with nothing to do all day and others I'm run off my feet, often not even getting back to station before the pager goes off again. The amount of adrenalin pumping on these days means I forget to eat and drink. I often leave the station at the end of the day with a massive headache purely from not eating or drinking enough. I try to solve this by carrying with me fruit and a water bottle but when your focus is elsewhere sometimes this doesn't even work. It's not like I'm going to say to a dying patient "hang on a minute on that CPR, I forgot to have my morning tea!!" lol


  • Then there's the snack box. For some stupid reason someone decided to get a fully laden, point filled, dripping with saturated fat snack box at the station!!!! I have to stare at it everytime I go to make a coffee! I seem to be the only person on station that is even aware of fat content! I think this one's just a matter of determination.


  • Normally I'm not a big coffee drinker. Maybe one coffee every 2 or 3 days, but on station that changes big time. It's all part of the initiation process ... one of the rules "must be big coffee drinker!" ok so maybe not literally but it's not long before the habit consumes you. Coffee in itself isn't a huge thing, but when I'm not drinking enough water either. That combination can mean major fluid retention. And forget the hot water, herbal tea thing ... can't do it!!


I guess I'm being pretty pedantic with these things and really they're not major problems but they do play up with me being on track. Most weeks after not being 100% ontrack at ambo it slips into the next day and the next and before I know it I'm being slack arse again. So I guess in this post I'm trying to make myself aware of what I need to focus on to keep me on track. As they say being aware of a problem is 99% of the way in solving it.



Now just to focus on the 1% of the solution.

11 comments:

Anne said...

I'm also aware that by not being 100% on track how easiy it is to keep slipping back. Good that you are aware of your downfalls and are working on them. Have a great week!

Chris H said...

U:MMMM, thought you said you had nothing to say???? Got to run, RPM awaits, will come back later...

Name: Lynise said...

ok, now that I've stopped cackling like hyena (sp) I will write my comment.

Those snack boxes are one of the worst. There was also one in the staff room where I worked last term and most co-workers seemed to buy something most days. I didn't find it to hard to avoid when I was on-track, but this week (after falling off the wagon) I'm struggling again and find things like snack boxes (or access to anything tempting) a real struggle in the initial few days/week of getting myself back on track.

Lee-Anne said...

We've got one of those damn snack boxes in the office too. I've been really good ignoring it but this week, I'm afraid I've given in.

I honestly haven't prepared properly this past week and it shows with the shocking choices I've made.

But you can only look forward.

I've plotted the way to Chris's. Only 3hrs 57 mins. I'll print it out and you can be navigator.

Zanna said...

I know what you mean - when you get totally focussed you resent anything which stands in your way or makes life difficult. But you're sounding ultra focussed - which is great - I wish I could get my focus back. It's almost easy when you are but damn hard to get back when you've lost it!

pointing the weigh said...

That You Tubs was soooooo funnny it really cracked me up....heehee

The injured party looked in better shape than the first aid guy, so much so the injured party was able to lift his head to give the first aid guy attitude...heeeheee

Have a great day

Hugs hun

Tania said...

Lol ... you beat me to it! I was just about to say that it's important to be aware of your dangers and then you said it yourself! I hate those snack boxes, thankfully we got rid of ours at work, best thing they ever did, i'm not good with temptation!

Well done on being 4 days 100% on track. Not sure if it helps but when I couldn't track for whatever reason I would actually plan my day in advance, it took a lot of discipline to stick to the plan but it seemed to work for me.

pointing the weigh said...

TeeeHeee.....On my previous comment I wrote You Tubs instead of You Tube...sorry hun, the E is close to the S that was all.

Hugs hun

Jaxx said...

Wow girl talk about busy busy busy.... Dont know how you do it all. Have a great Sunday

Jaxx

Moby Dick said...

Sounds like you are on the right track, keep it up, and try to adapt to the challenges!

Leighanne said...

one question - what is a snak box??

You are doing so well, focusing on a solution:)