Saturday, October 04, 2003

Bad builders

Quick update to let you know I'm still alive :)

Eating has been pretty good. Exercise not much (but that's not unusual).

Best news ... Bill has decided to move down here with me (he misses me too much ... aint that sweet?) It will mean a lot more travelling and more petrol but given he won't be paying board I don't think it will be much more. Anyway I don't really care how much it costs ... its too horrible not having him here. So he moves home as of next week ... can't wait!

Went to the homeshow here in Hamilton on Thursday. Good lot of exercise there. To give you some background info here ... a few months back we talked to the builders about getting a gas fireplace put in and they told us that because we needed a permit it would hold the building process up too much so would be better if we did it after the house was finished. I really didn't want to do this but admitted defeat. Then at the homeshow I spoke to 3 fireplace people who all said that for a gas fireplace we didn't need a permit!! So I rang the builder back to say they were wrong and that we wanted one put in. He still tried to talk us out of it and gave us a huge price (about $1500 more than the fireplace people said it would cost). So I said I would go away and research it, think about it and get back to him shortly. When I rang him back before I could tell him that yes I still wanted to do it regardless of the cost ... he said WE CAN'T DO ANY ALTERATIONS FOR YOU no matter what it is. No fireplace!!

I was wild!! At the start (before we signed up) they told us we could change any part of the plan and do anything we liked as long as we paid the extra costs. Now they have totally turned around! Bad, bad, bad! But from what I have heard from others alot of builders are like this.

So anyway the bank manager said that by the time we move in the value of our house should have gone up and therefore we could just add it on to the loan and get it done seperately by another builder. Probably a better option anyway. If we got these builders to do it they would probably charge us alot more and do a slaphappy job. This way it gets done properly and still gets included with the house. So happy ending anyway but it's the principle of the matter that winds me up.

Anyway ... I'm going fine and things are looking good. Sorry no update photo of the house yet this week. Bill said that when he drove past a few days ago they were putting tiles on the roof. Can't wait to see that!

That's about all for today ... got a busy day ahead with stationery again.

Bye for now,
Lyn :)
SW 107.4kg
CW 81.5kg
GW 65kg

No comments: