Wednesday, March 19, 2008

who needs a soap opera ...?




I'm very happy to report a 100g loss today. Much better than the horrid gain I thought I would have. It's just the kick start I needed.

Thankyou all so much for your wonderful comments. Blew me away with your support.

I'm still getting used to this new computer with it's little quirks, but we've come to be quite attached to eachother now. The first night the internet kept freezing and I got frustrated and closed it, giving it some abusive names.

I've since learnt it was infact the modem/internet that was playing up not my laptop. I had to apologise for the name calling. Must have worked because she's behaved well ever since.

Had to take Malachi (10) to the doctors yesterday. The school had rung up to say he was in the sick bay with a 'croupy' cough. I said to the office lady over the phone that I don't think it would be croup. Kids grow out of that around 5 or 6. He had it a couple of years ago and was considered very old for it then at aged 8.

I went down and picked him up anyway and on hearing his 'bark' cough had to admit to the lady that she may be right, it did sound like croup (damnit I had it when I'm wrong!! lol).

Sure enough the doc confirmed it ... a very surpising case of croup in a 10yr old. He had a really loud audible wheeze you could hear from over a metre away. Not much the doc could do as to give him steroids late in the day would mean him being up all night (makes them ultra alert).

So we hoped and prayed he wouldn't get worse overnight with the temperature drop. Gave him some panadol before bed and rang the ambulance crew on duty to prepare for a possible callout if he did worsen.

But surprisingly enough he slept through the night and seemed alot better this morning. So I think he's over the worst of it and managed to get better himself without any further medication.

Well that's my day's 'shortland street' episode.
Back to normality again ... touch wood!

7 comments:

Chris H said...

Glad your wee man is a lot better.... and well done on the loss, you are doing so well.

Jaxx said...

Congrats on your loss - my son still got croup until age 11 and quite a few times a year...... Glad he is feeling better :)

Anne said...

A couple of our grandsons get it, although still only 5. Scary to hear.

Hey - good on you - that was a loss!!!!

Kate said...

Hey congrats on the loss! They are even better when they are unexpected like that!

jen said...

Hopefully all is well with Malachi...

Congrats on your loss, onwards and downwards and over Easter!!

Jen xx

Tania said...

Oh poor Malachi - although it does sound like he's on the mend - what a relief for you!

Nona said...

Really glad Malachi is better ... and way to go with the weight loss!!!