Monday, July 07, 2008

You wouldn't believe it!!

And I thought things were looking great when I did my last post .... since then ...

I got a phone call on the ambulance from my station manager on Thursday to say someone from Auckland was trying to contact me and gave me his details ...

It was the Auckland job application ... I was so nervous making the phone call back to him ...

My ambo partner was quietly squeeling in the background ... she had to pull over she was beside herself ...

"Congratulations!! you have been shortlisted for your Auckland job application! We were inundated with hundreds of applications and well done you've made it to the final 20! Congrats!!" He started ...

I had to take a deep breath ... I couldn't believe it!!!!

He then proceeded to tell me about the 8hr interview I'll be having on the 30th July ... yep you read right .... 8 hours!!!!! I have to be at Mt Wellington HQ at 8am and it's over at 5pm!! Ohh my friggen goodness!!!

Here's whats involved ...

- a 45minute driving exam in an ambulance, both suburbian and motorway
- map reading exam
- group lateral thinking scenario and individual assessment afterwards
- literacy exam
- clinical exam
- resusitation scenario
- phsyco and ethical analysis

and ....

A 45 MINUTE PHYSICAL!!! including a 1km run with 20kgs worth of gear to carry, 25 pressups in 1 minute, 45 situps in one minute, 45 step ups, and a whole lot more stuff ...

I got off the phone and the other officer (who calls a spade a spade) says "Right you have some phone calls to make ... ring Bill, now ring Pauline (my station manager) ... now listen ... you have 28 days left ... you have to pull your finger out of your ass and get out there walking and exercising and get back into losing some major weight girl!!! You have to do this, you are too good to miss out on this opportunity because of your fitness ... get out there and do it!!! Sorry to be so blunt but you know me I tell it like it is and someone has to say it.

I actually wasn't offended at all and thanked her for her honesty. She was exactly right!! It was the exact thing I needed to kick my ass into gear!

So I've put myself on a very strict regime for 28 days ... no starchy carbs at all!! Meat and vege for dinner and a protein shake for breakfast and lunch, snacks of fruit and 2 bottles of water. 30mins (at least) of exercise 6 days a week. I'm not a huge fan of protein shakes long term but I have to think about it like a body building working up to a competition ... I have to go hard and whatever works I HAVE to do ... I haven't got time to muck around ... I have 28 days!!! That's it!!

Here's my weights so far (have been weighing daily)

Thurs - 104.8kg
Friday - 103.6kg
Saturday - 102.7kg
Sunday - 101.5kg
Today - 100.9kg

Nearly 4kgs in 4 days!! ... I know I won't be able to keep losing at that rate ... but boy I have to do my damned best!!! I soooo want this job!!!!

Ohhh and Kathryn ... yes I would be very interested to find out more about that boarding opportunity!! I don't know (if I get the job) which station I'll be at and which area of Auckland but if you could get back to me with where they live for a start ...

I'm sooooo excited ... and nervous!!!

8 comments:

Anne said...

Phew - all go for you until the interview! Like the other officer just get out and do it. Something to aim for which is probably exactly what you need. Wishing you luck!!!

Miss Coops said...

Hi Lyn came across your blog...hope your interview goes well. You have lost so much weight and have done so well on your journey to slimsvile. Cheers The Fat Girl

jen said...

Go for it girl, good luck, but you won't need it....you'll blitz it in !!

Jen xx

Lyn said...

Wow that's exciting! Congrats! What a motivation.

TitanThirteen said...

Oh my, what great motivation to lose weight! Even if you don't get the job, you'll look fantastic!
An 8hr interview is a bit over the top :o/

Name: Lynise said...

My goodness, an 8 hour interview, I must admit that I would be terrified if I was going to be faced with what your expected to do.

But you have such a great attitude to being thrown in the deep end like this and using it like a bomb under you is really proof of how much you want to pursue this dream.

Have a great week

Tania said...

Oh these opportunities don't come along every day - congratulations, being short listed is a big compliment. And your weight loss so far has been fantastic, just think how great you're going to look for the interview.

Kathryn said...

I'm so excited for you :) send me an email and I can give me more details Flavaster@gmail.com. It is actually my mum who is looking for a boarder. It's a two bedroom unit in Birkenhead, really close to the city.