Wednesday, June 25, 2008

One door closes, another opens ...

I have to admit I was wrong. I imagined Bruce's funeral to be a bundle of nerves and stress for us all, but it all went really well. We had a lot more people come than expected with the last few in the hall having to stand at the back.

It was a simple ceremony with the minister opening, Bill giving a eulogy and then the floor opened up for anyone to speak and tell of their stories of Bruce. And heaps of people came forward to say their bit. There must have been over 20 people speak in the end. We had laughs and lots and lots of tears and everyone left remembering what an amazing guy he was. Some who took life by the horns and lived it without boundaries. It was sweet seeing grown men in absolute tears for a mate who they loved and respected.

The last of the family went home today so it's just us again. Back to peace and quiet with no screaming kids or screaming adults for that matter. Although in saying that it was really neat catching up with all the cuzzies again.

Turns out the job I applied for at the lab (admin one) probably won't eventuate. They've decided they can get away without employing anyone now. Ahhh well.

A few days ago I learnt that the casual ambulance officer position probably wasn't going to happen for exactly the same reason. But I had a strange peace about it all. I know something will come up.

Then yesterday my boss at the station called me aside to say that the RSO (my boss's boss) was so impressed with my work on the road that he rang his boss (who employs the casuals) to put in an excellent word for me and persuade him to employ me and all without my knowing. I was blown away!! I've been told I should hear back in the next couple of weeks on that.

I also had it suggested by my station manager to apply for Auckland. They are currently taking on officers. In the past I've always shyed away from this knowing they are run off their feet. It's a hectic place up there, but in saying that I know that it would be good for me. It means putting myself way out of my comfort zone but deep down I know it will sharpen my skills and confidence on the road.

So yes you guessed it, I've put my application in for Auckland. I can hear all your questions now ... but where will you live? are you moving back to Auckland? What about Bill and the kids?? The kids are happy here in Waihi and very settled. If I get the Auckland job it's a 4 day on four off roster, so I'll find myself a flat or boarding place up there, Bill and the kids will stay in Waihi and then I'll come back home to Waihi on my days off. My long term plan (if I get this job) is to get my skills up and a good look on my cv for when the new officer position comes available back in Waihi (in around a year to eighteen months). We'll wait and see, don't even know if I'll get a look in for the job... ambo jobs are very very hard to get (so I've learnt)

The shop sale is going as planned so far. Still have to wait for it to go unconditional in a couple of weeks time, but everything looks good so far.

We've found ourselves a place to rent in Waihi. It's still being built at the moment and will be ready a week or so after we move from here, so might mean going on a little holiday first maybe. It's a brand new brick and tile 3 bedroom place with ensuite, heatpump, new carpet, new kitchen ... thank god!!! We have lived in grotty little holes since moving from our new house in Auckland. To have a place that doesn't have the wind whistle threw when all the doors and windows are shut, a place that actually looks clean once it's been cleaned, a place with a front door (not a back coridoor from the back of a shop as the front entrance), a place to call HOME!!! Our current house is not a home, sure we have our furniture there but it is just accomodation. So to have something brand spanking new ... yay!!!

8 comments:

Name: Lynise said...

Hi ya, glad to hear everything is looking positive for the sale. Will keep my fingers crossed for you that it will all go smoothly and you can start working on plans for the future.

Mel. said...

Sorry to hear about Bruce's death and I hope things continue to go well for you and your family.

I'm a strong believer in the old saying when one door closes another one opens. All the best with your application for the job in Auckland. Its good to see you back blogging again.

Anne said...

You all must have been so proud of the amount of people that spoke about Bruce.

I always use that saying re one door closing - another opening.

The next few weeks look to be eventful ones for you. Good luck with the house, job, sale etc.

Nona said...

Glad the funeral went well.

Talk about changes, wowww!!! Hope things continue to go smoothly and you find a job you really like that allows you to use your skills.

pointing the weigh said...

I have tagged you hun.
Do it only if you want to.

Love & hugs xx

Tania said...

Glad to hear the funeral went well, sounds like a fitting tribute!

Isn't it great that things are falling into place for you - so many exciting changes ahead for you all, fingers crossed for the Auckland position and the new house sounds fabulous.

Kathryn said...

Glad to hear the funeral went well.
Gosh so many changes going on :)
If you get the job in Auckland and are looking for a place to board I know someone who would be interested.

jen said...

Good to hear the funeral went well, must have been good to know Bruce was loved and respected by so many.
wowwwwww certainly a lot of changes going on in your lives...but glad the shop sale is still going ahead.
Good luck with the job.

Jen