Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Glad it's over!!

Lucky!!! I made the decision a week ago to go up the night before and stay in a motel room!!! I got to Auckland and settled into my room, turned on the news to see that the Kaurangahake Gorge was CLOSED!!! (due to heavy rain, flooding and slips!!) If I hadn't have gone up early I wouldn't have made it in time!!

Feeling quite alone in my room I set out to Silvia Park Mall for dinner and to buy a few bits and pieces I hadn't got (an exercise top and breakie/lunch for the next day). I got told to eat carbs for my dinner meal before. Given I hadn't eaten carbs for the last 28 days I was a bit nervous at choosing a pasta meal. My tummy groaned for a bit afterwards but was fine.

I didn't sleep well waking up every hour from 3am onwards. At 6am I was up and having a shower making sure I didn't wet my hair (that had been straightened) or my ankle (that had been strapped just in case) so was a very tricky shower.

I left the motel room at 7.20am and made it to Head Quarters at 7.25am (35mins early). Much rather to be early than late. The rain was horrendous!! First up was a group Team exercise and fortunately was with a really great bunch who all worked well together. The comment was made afterwards how well we worked together (which was the whole point of the exercise) Check one done!!

We then went on a rotational basis for our next 5 assessments. First up for me?? THE PHYSICAL!!! Two of us were doing it together and with me was a huge 6ft guy!! Stretches (including the one I was nervous about putting one arm over my shoulder the other under and touching) done!!! Phew!! Step ups?? DONE!! Carry chairing a 70kg dummy up and down 3 flights of stairs twice!! DONE!! (harder than I thought it would be) Pressups?? DONE!! (and done easy thanks to my training) Walk around the block carrying 4 pieces of equipment??? Given I was with a 6ft guy I had to take 2 steps for every one of his which made me push myself a whole lot harder ... DONE!! And 30 secs UNDERTIME!!! I was so happy to have the physical out of the way ... AND PASSED!! YEEE HAHHHH!!!

Next ... My formal interview ... I answered my best. It was none of the questions I thought it would be but they commented on a lot of answers what a good answer that was and finished off how good it was that I gave so many examples of situations I had been in. They couldn't believe that I was a full time volunteer that didn't get paid!!

Next ... a 40minute drive on the motorway and around the suberbs. I nearly didn't completely stop at a stop sign because I was too busy chatting to the assessor but realised just in time!! Phew!!! Passed!!!

Then map reading exam ... yay another passed!!

Then the clinical ... 40mins of questions assessing my medical knowledge. There was only one question I struggled on which I got ... eventually. Thankfully the assessor gave me the time to think about it. He said at the end that I was the best he had in this intake of people ... another yay!!!

Then a psycho analysis ... just answered the best I could and no way of telling how I did on that one.

It was a full on day of intense assessments!!! But at the end of it I really felt I did the best I possibly could!! I gave 100 percent and wouldn't change a thing!!!

Now I have 2 weeks of waiting for the outcome. If I get accepted I have a start date of early September which is just over 4wks away!!

I was absolutely buzzing on my way home ... a good days hard work!! As I was driving home the first news report said the gorge was still closed!! I only had 1/4 tank of gas left just out of Paeroa ... if it was still closed I would have to go all the way down to Matamata, over the Kaimai's to Tauranga and home ... an extra 1.5hrs on my journey. Lucky the gas station at Paeroa was still open as I came through so I filled up. The guy there told me that he thought the gorge had just opened but wasn't sure. So I took the chance and YES fortunately it had just opened as I came through ...

... home!! Finally!!! And glad to be so!! What a day ... but a happy day!!!

16 comments:

Name: Lynise said...

Hey you clever thing. Well done, what a gruelling job interview. (glad I don't have 8 hour job interviews)

How exciting to being that one step closer to paid employment in a field you love being involved in.

Name: Lynise said...

PS: thanx for updating, I've been wondering how your day went.

Kate said...

Thanks for keeping us updated!

8 hour interviews...yucky! I don't think I could handle it! But it will all be worth it when you get a job you love!

Yummy Mummy said...

Well done... nothing else you could havw done!! Fingers and toes crossed!!!

Anne said...

You sound like you did really well!! Fingers crossed!

What is happening with the shop sale? Any news yet?

Karen said...

Wow! That sounded so intense but sounds like you did so well!

Can't wait to hear how you get on but my money is on you getting it! :)

Chris H said...

I am going to keep everything crossed that you get it cos then we can see each other when you are in Auckland!!!! Wooooo hooooo

Jaxx said...

Sounds like it all went well cross fingers you get in :-)

merinz said...

That sure was a marathon interview. And thanks for keeping us posted. We wait to hear the results now!

Miss Coops said...

God what a long and physical day. Glad it went well. Hope you get the job you have put so much effort and hard work in to it.

jen said...

What an intense and full on day for you...but it sounds like you blitzed it..just like I knew you would...well done!! Everything crossed for you...

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! so glad that it is over for you sweety!

Nona said...

Hope this job comes through for you Lyn!!

Tania said...

Woohoo, you go girl! Sounds like you did an awesome job and were very well prepared. Fingers crossed the news is positive, can't wait to hear.

Pandora Woman said...

Have not been to your blog in AGES!

And the thing that draws me to the one line on your blog every time is ..99,8 kg! YOU MADE IT,YOU FLIPPIN' MADE IT. You must have been over the moon.

I thing it was ages ago, and your job interview is the number one news. BUT I THINK IT IS FANTASTIC.

I dream of that day, and will be on cloud NONE for a month!

VERY VERY GOOD!

Kindest regards,

Willow

Pandora Woman said...

Have not been to your blog in AGES!

And the thing that draws me to the one line on your blog every time is ..99,8 kg! YOU MADE IT,YOU FLIPPIN' MADE IT. You must have been over the moon.

I thing it was ages ago, and your job interview is the number one news. BUT I THINK IT IS FANTASTIC.

I dream of that day, and will be on cloud NONE for a month!

VERY VERY GOOD!

Kindest regards,

Willow