Thursday, September 06, 2007

precious moments

Hi Lyn here again. Mandy has kindly let me use her computer to update while I'm here for dinner with her. Thankyou Mandz!!!

It all started with a phone call from my sister on Monday night to say she had just woke up from anesthetic after coming out of 6hrs of surgery and that Jayden was dead and Callum was on life support and that she had nearly died on the operating table.

And I never realised the reality of this until today when one of the surgeons came to speak to us and with a look of "pay attention to this!!!" she told us how they came so very very close to losing my sister on the operating table!! She lost 5litres of blood!! had 1.5litres of PUSS taken out of two 15cm burst absesses in her uterus, had every part of her intestine taken out, inspected, put back in, her uterus (with babies still inside) taken out and put back in and her blood pressure dropped to 85 systolic (anything below 100 systolic is death door material!) and her kidneys went into organ failure along with slowly bit by bit other organs in her body. By the grace of God she was saved and through a horrible 40hr journey is back on the road to recovery.

But so sadly because of this her beautiful twin baby boys have sacrificed their lives. Yes today sadly little Callum who has been on life support for the last 4 days passed away. The decision was made to turn off the life support today given the circumstances that there was no brain activity recorded and nearly continuous seizures for the last 4 days. It then was up to little Callum if he would survive or not. The hardest decision I think anybody could possibly have to make and one I am very proud of my sister and husband for having the strength to make.

When the moment came to turn off the machines the nurses brought little Callum up from Neonate Intensive Care, took all the chords, wires and moniters off and let my sister just hold him ... mummy and baby ... a beautiful sight! With lots of support around her she announced he had gone, that she felt his spirit leave and sure enough a few moments later he stopped breathing. The most precious moment I have EVER experienced!!!

The result's on little Jayden's autospy came back today which stated reason of death as organ shutdown of maternal mother. In other words as my sister went into shutdown mode (right before death) the body considered the uterus to be a non-essential for sustaining life organ and stopped all supply, hence babies suffered.

It's been a very emotional week with still more tears to come with the funeral for her little babies. But we're holding strong ... especially my one and only dear sister!!!!

24 comments:

Tania said...

Oh Lyn, how heartbreaking for your sister, her husband and all your family! I don't imagine there's a harder thing in life to deal with than to hold your child only to have the life drain from them.

I'm so glad to hear your sister is on the road to recovery and I hope she finds the strength she needs to get through the tough times ahead.

It's at times like this we realise how important family is.

Lynda said...

Oh God Lyn, that is just all so sad. I am so pleased though that your sister will be OK. What on earth caused the infection? We take so much for granted in our lives - I'm glad you were there for her.

Meow Meow said...

I am so sorry that your family has suffered from such devastation.

It has to be absolutely horrific!! My heart goes out.

My prayers will follow.

{{{HUGS}}}}

The Candid Bandit said...

I can't see for tears.

Lyn, my heart is broken for you all. So much sadness and grace in these past few days. Im so thankful your sister was saved. She will need a huge amount of love and support from you. Im glad you were there to witness the precious moment. I cannot fathom what you all are going through.

All my love and twinkles,
xox

Chris H said...

There are NO WORDS to describe how terribly sad I feel for all involved in this tragedy...So I am not even going to try. *BIGGEST HUGS* to you and your family Lyn.

Anne said...

I felt very emotional when I read this. So heart breaking for you all. Can't even begin to imagine how your sister is feeling. Thoughts are with you all.

sandie_bee said...

much love, hugs, wishes and prayers I send to you and your family.

Sisters are so precious.

sandie bee

Sienna said...

Oh Lyn, what a dreadful ordeal to go through. I have 4 sisters and they are all very precious to me. I hope you can get through this next few weeks with all the support from family. I am so glad your sister is OK.

Name: Lynise said...

I do not know what to say to you at such a terribly terribly sad time. I am so pleased that your sister has pulled through and is on the road to recovery but am so sad reading that her beloved son's have been taken to heaven before they had a chance to live.
My heart just breaks for your sister and family.

Christine said...

What a tough time for you and your family. My heart hurts for you and your sister. You have two precious angels looking down you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tracy said...

I am so sorry to hear Callum did not make it either. My heart goes out to all of your family, especially your sister & her husband.

Kim said...

I truely and honest just don't know what to say Lyn. Everyone before me has already said so much so just know that I am here for you and will be thinking of you, your sister and your whole family with all my heart.

Nona said...

This is really heartbreaking. I am sorry for your loss. What a traumatic experience for your family. I am so glad that your sister made it and I wish her a speedy recovery.

JustJo said...

my love and thoughts are with you xoxo

jen said...

Sisters are very precious...love her, hold her, hug her, treasure her...

Its been a heartbreaking time for you...our love and thoughts are with you all.

Moby Dick said...

Wow. No words. Condolences and prayers for your family and the blessed departed. %(

Karen said...

Everybody has already said so much and has said what I was going to say so will just say that my thoughts and prayers are with you and the whole family at this sad tragic time.
Lots of love and hugs to you all xxx

Jaxx said...

Thought are with you all at this time. {{hugs}}

Felicity said...

my heart goes out to you and your family-hugs

Zanna said...

Can't think of any words for you or your beloved sister and family. But can't stop thinking of how awful this must be for you all and wishing you all strength to get through this.
Z xx

Jules said...

Nothing I can say will take away the pain for anyone involved but just know that my thoughts are with you and your loved ones and that your sister needs to look on her life as the most precious thing in the world now!! Lots of love.

Christy_Ann said...

What a tragic story. I am so sorry to learn of it. It is beyond comprehension really. You and yours will be in my prayers tonight... xxxx

pointing the weigh said...

Incredibly sad news.

Hugs, love, thoughts and prayers are with you all.


Lots of love to you all XXX

Anonymous said...

Sweets I'm stuck for words. Just seems so incredibly unfair for everyone. God really doesnt have a sense of humour some days and everyone is left wondering where the hell they went wrong. Take care, deepest sympathies and hope life takes a turn for the positive real soon :)