Saturday, September 22, 2007

kids ... I brought a new toy home


It's currently 7am on Saturday morning and I've been awake since 2.30am when the pager went off for my first night shift on ambulance. I must admit I felt out of my comfort zone responding at night from home. No matter how quickly I tried to get my uniform and shoes on it seemed to take forever!!

By the time I arrived in my car to my partners house (where the ambulance was) my adrenalin levels were through the roof. I was puffing. Was a horrible feeling. But what seemed to me like 20 minutes was actually only 7 minutes.

My normal calm manner in walking into the house was jittery and flustered. It's been a very long time since I felt like that on ambo. Fortunately for me my partner was used to nights and allowed me to take a step back and become the goafa.

I had a good talk with her on the way back from hospital and was relieved to find out that's totally normal when starting out on nights. The feeling of 'no matter how fast you go feels too slow' and uncertainty. So I'll add it to my list of life experiences.

My next problem was being to hyped to go back to sleep when I got home at 5am ... hence why I'm still awake now. I have staff starting at 12pm so I'll go have my nana nap then.

Another first for me today is bringing the ambulance home. For this half of the shift I get to have the ambulance here. Very exciting for the kids and another step up for me. Learning all the radio instructions and tasks to be done when having the truck at home is confusing but so far I think I've got it right.

I've been totally on track with points the last 3 days. I almost blew it this morning with being so hyped and tired at the same time I wanted FOOD!! And a yummy hot pie seemed the perfect solution. Lucky common sense kicked in and I opted for a salad sandwich instead. Twas a good girl I was.

7 comments:

Nona said...

Wow!!! Sounded a little stressful. Really glad things turned out fine and really glad you didn't eat. Yeah!!! I'm sure things will get better as you get use to it. It's actually really cool and amazing, what you are doing.

Chris H said...

Wow, good on you for opting for the healthy sandwich! OOOO an ambulance at home... what fun!

Christine said...

Not sure if I would jump out of bed that quick - that wouldn't be the job for me. Hat off to you.

Gosh - the kids must have been so excited to see the ambulance. I would have been too.

Glad to see you are doing well.

jen said...

ohhhhh ambulance in the driveway, the kids will have plenty to talk about now ehhh?

Twas a good girl ya is!!!

Jen xx

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

You must be the coolest mum I know... hahaha
Well done on making a healthy choice... thats what life has to be all about....
Says Wanna with a glass of scotch in one hand and an empty bag of corn chips on comp desk beside her...oh I know I know..I am hopless... just dont take any diet tips from me... hahaha

pointing the weigh said...

ONLY 7 mins....pretty good going there!

Well done resisting the pie and choosing the salad sandwich instead, probably more enjoyable anyway.

Anyone who doesn't know that you are an ambo lady....sorry I don't know the technical name but they may think...."OOOooo I wonder what is going on here" and then be nosey....teehee - should park it outside your shop, rake in even more trade....sneaky eh?

Hugs to you hunny

Em said...

Glad to see that you have done so well with your assignment , you must be ever so proud ...well done on the healthy choice :)