Friday, April 18, 2008

Simple pleasures


I'm pleased to say I completed my first three days on the Greenlane diet. I now have four days of healthy eating but not to a strict menu. It was really hard going!! REALLY hard! I found each day by the time I got to mid afternoon I was feeling very lathargic, light headed and headachey. Proud of myself that I stuck to it rigidly all bar 2 glasses of wine on the night of day two.




Bill had a friend/customer in the shop yesterday that he was telling about how we were doing this Greenlane Diet. She said "you're crazy!! That diet is for people who are so sick in hospital. They are stuck in bed and can't move all day! And you guys are eating the same amount AND walking around! I don't know how you can do it!"




I hadn't actually thought of it like that. I don't think it will be a permanent thing for me but more of a kickstart to get my motivation back which it seems to be doing.




Lynda and Jules you are totally right! I couldn't remember what he had died of. I had an idea it was something non-related to weight but couldn't quote that on here as I wasn't totally sure. So thanks for pointing that out.




I'm really enjoying his book for reasons other than weightloss as well. It's been very good timing. We are currently going into winter which is always a tough time financially for us. We're having to live day to day budgeting to pay bills and when you own a shop like this the bills are big amounts ... in the thousands so we have to be very tight with our money. Some days it gets us down and very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.




Anyway getting back to the book ... this guy talks about another side of life ... one where he had no issues with money, where he was jetsetting all over the world for meetings. Over to London for 8hrs then back again, flying all over New Zealand multiple times in a day, smoozing clients in fancy restaurants, buying big fancy cars and living a life many people dream about. Yet he wasn't happy. He found himself not communicating with his wife because he was too busy being the big exec and by the time he got home he would flop into bed and start all over the next day.




It was a great reminder to me that money isn't everything. I've never had a desire to be hugely rich but enough to cover the bills and a little left over for some playtime is the dream for me. And sometimes I feel very let down in life because we've had to work so hard just to pay the bills. This man made me refocus on the fact that yes we may be broke, but hey we have a great relationship together (Bill and I) where we can be together every night and talk, we can work happily together, take the kids out for a swim down the beach as a family, play 'bat down' out in the back yard as a family and generally we can have the time just to be us, with out the rush, rush, rush of the 'high life'. We have our health and we have to be grateful for those small things because in all reality those small things ... are actually big things in life ...




To simplify it down it reminded me ... 'Don't worry!! Be happy!!'




P.S. - for those of you who asked what happened about Bill's job ... he never heard back so we're taking that as a no. Pretty rude of them not to let him know, but that's ok we're happy with that.

8 comments:

Anne said...

Aww Lyn - great post. I loved the book you are talking about, one of the reasons I loved it was the change the author made to himself and his lifestyle and how he started to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. So sad that he passed away after discovering himself. Great you and Bill are enjoying the simple pleasures of life with with your kids!

Greenlane diet - sounds like a good kick start, but a bit strict for me!

Julie's Journey said...

The pandora charm incentive idea on your sidebar is such a great idea. I am going to use it to see if it will help me lose those last seemingly unmoveable kilos.

Chris H said...

I loved that guy who wrote the book "Fat Man Slim", I also watched the documentary programme of his journey while losing the wieght some years ago, and was crushed to learn he had died of a brain turmor after all his hard efforts. Shit happens ... glad you are doing so well and I hope the winter months are not too hard on you and the family.

celtic_girl said...

Congratulations on sticking to the diet, makes you feel good aye!

I agree with you I would rather have my health than money.

pointing the weigh said...

Something on my blog for you hun

Hugs x

Nona said...

You know what? This post made me feel like hugging you. You DO have a lovely life.

I think it is normal to want to have enough money so that we don't have to worry, but we live in a world where a few people have too much and most people don't have enough and that truly sucks.

I agree that money can't make one happy, but if one is already happy money can take away a lot of survival stress issues and help one to realise one's goals and dreams.

Re: your other posts, your little animated cartoons always make me laugh and laugh. I am glad you got your mojo back.

Lots of {{{hugs}}} Lyn.

Jules said...

I love this post.

One of my regular readers from Aussie lost her husband a while ago in a terrible medical stuffup and she is so lonely now and when I was going on about whether we take the bigger rental or not in a recent post she left a comment saying it doesn't matter so much where you are but that you can all cuddle up on the sofa together at the end of the day. And your little cartoon says it all.

TitanThirteen said...

Great post!
We don't have a business, but i have found over the years that no matter how much hard earned money we have, it's never enough. As soon as we get a promotion or pay rise, we find something to quickly spend it on, and before we know it, we are struggling to pay bills again each week.
Those richy people with money at their fingertips serve money rather than the other way 'round. What quality do they have in life?
99 out of 100 of them will tell you they'd trade it all for a "real" family life, real love and real freinds.
We have all that, So who is richer? :o)