Wednesday, September 17, 2008

scary caves!!

Sorry for the HUGE delay in doing an update!! In the last 10 days tonight is the first night I've had at home where I've had no assignments/homework to do!!!

IT'S CRAZY!!! But I'm still loving it!! Scared shitless but loving it!

We're still in class at the moment. My first shift on the road is at Howick station next Thursday night (not tomorrow but a week away). Our days have been filled with assessments, assignments, tests, lectures and a WHOLE LOT OF LEARNING!!!

On Monday we had a scenario to do where we went (in pairs) to an apparent "fall/collapse" in the garage of the station. As we walked in we checked scene safety then as all looked clear we walked up to the patient and he told us he had been assaulted ... then out of nowhere a big maori guy with tats, beanie and dark glasses came running towards me with a baseball bat swearing at me "what the FUCK DO YOU WANT!!!" I threw my hands up, told him to stop and ran as fast as I could backwards towards the door!!!! My heart was in my throat!!! Don't think it had beaten that fast in a very long time!! And I'm sure I lost a couple of kilos there and then!! He got very close to me and thank goodness he was an actor otherwise maybe I might not have been here to tell this very horrific story!!!! lol

We went on to learn how to defend ourselves in scary situations. We had to go through situations of this guy hurling abuse at us and what we would do!! It's actually a very scary thing to go through but very important all the same!!

Today we got sent to an address in Devonport and we were met by a guy who told us his mate had collapsed down a dark cave (which he took us to the entrance of). Our team was the only team (1 of 3 teams) who refused to go in the cave to a guy who had apparently cardiac arrested. The lesson was no matter how serious the condition, if our safety is potentially at risk ... don't go!!! yay we passed that one by telling him (in between him screaming at us!!) that I'm very sorry but until we get someone here to help us (the police) we can't go in there.

The course has been very demanding with them putting us in all sorts of situations but I'm really happy with how it's going and the things I am learning from it!!

This weekend I am off to Thames for my inclass course for my Diploma in Ambulance Practice so it will mean 9 days straight working, then I have one day back (my first shift on the road) then ... bliss ... 4 days off!!!!

Think I might need it by then!!!!

P.S. my belt buckle has gone down a hole since I got here!! Something must be working :)

8 comments:

Zanna said...

It's so great to read your posts - your sheer passion for what you're doing just shines through and for me it's just fantastic to watch albeit at a distance someone realising their dream. Reach for the stars baby!! Z xx

TitanThirteen said...

Keeping busy will help you lose weight. So good on you for doing both AND having fun! :o)

Tania said...

Sounds like you're definitely enjoying this new change in your lifestyle. Think I would have been just as scared in that situation. Are you heading home for your time off?

jen said...

wowwwwwwwww full steam ahead smiling all the way. Goodonya Lyn, keep smiling, as Zanna said your passion comes throu on all your posts.
Follow those dreams.

Jen xx

Jules said...

I suppose this is the reason the ambo's couldn't go into that liquor store in South Auckland when that poor indian man lay dying. Isn't it a shame that we can't even save a life without threat to our own personal harm.

Good on you Lyn, proud of your achievements.

Lyn said...

Wow that sounds CRAZY stressful!! I am glad you love it. We need people like you out there. People who really know what they are doing. I think you are totally in your element with this and the training is a great thing.

Pandora Woman said...

-reads your post reading all in amazement- You are one busy girl! And if I may so so, a girl with a level head on your shoulders.

*THUMBS UP*

Learning can be such a tiring occupation, you must fall in bed at night exhausted? And it does take a lot of energy. That paired with all the practical learbing you are doing you are burning calories!

When do we get to see the next pair of photograps?

Hugs,

Willow

TitanThirteen said...

How goes it?